The YWCA St. Thomas-Elgin, established over 110 years ago, is a not for profit, social service agency governed by a volunteer Board of Directors.
The YWCA is currently accepting applications for Lifeguards, Swim Instructors and Water Safety Assistants for Summer Aquatic Programs offered in Aylmer to work individually and as a team to provide pool supervision and class instruction according to established standards in a safe, inclusive and enjoyable environment.
• Responsible for the overall safety of swimmers and participants accessing the pool facilities according to relevant legislation, regulations, standards and health precautions
• Effectively and efficiently protect the safety of swimmers, provide first aid treatment where necessary and respond in case of emergency.
• Demonstrate excellent leadership, communication and problem solving skills, enjoy working as part of a team and interacting positively with children.
• Organize and prepare swimming lessons for a variety of students and effectively and consistently provide instruction and evaluate swimmers according to established standards.
• Preparation, completion and maintenance of required reports, forms, records and statistics.
• Maintenance of the pool area(s) and facilities to ensure safety
Qualifications for Lifeguard/Swim Instructors
• Standard First Aid with CPR
• Red Cross Lifeguard or Lifesaving Society National Lifeguard
• Red Cross Water Safety Instructor or Lifesaving Society Swim Instructor or Lifesaving Instructor
Qualifications for Water Safety Assistants
• Standard First Aid with CPR
• Red Cross Assistant Lifeguard or Lifesaving Society Bronze Cross
• Lifesaving Society Assistant Instructor
Seasonal Employment Opportunities include positions during the summer for daytime, evenings, weekends, and holidays. Mandatory orientation and training required. Hours of work may vary.
Summer Experience Program Lifeguard/Instructor(s): Employment contract length of 232 hours during the summer, contingent on funding through the Government of Ontario’s Summer Employment Opportunities Program known as the 2022 Summer Experience Program. Participant Eligibility Criteria for the Summer Experience Program must be met. Student must be currently enrolled in a secondary, or post-secondary institution or within six months of graduation and have reached the age of 15 and not yet reached the age of 25 upon commencement of employment or up to 29 years of age for persons with a disability, within the meaning of s.10 of the Ontario Human Rights Code, R.S.O. 1990, c. H.19, as amended from time to time. Proof of student enrolment must be provided. Students must be residents of Ontario during the period of employment. Students must be eligible to work in Canada and have a Social Insurance Number (SIN). Students should be living in Ontario at the time they start work. The intention of the program is to provide career-related experience to eligible students that are also eligible to work in Ontario.
Canada Summer Jobs Program Lifeguard/Instructor(s): Employment contract length from 270-300 hours during the summer, contingent on Canada Summer Jobs Program funding. Participant Eligibility Criteria for the Canada Summer Jobs Program must be met. Youth must be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of employment, be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment and have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
How to Apply
Applicants are invited to submit their resume including proof of current qualifications and position(s) as soon as possible to:
Aylmer Community Services, 20 Talbot Street East, Aylmer ON N5H 1H4 or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The YWCA St. Thomas-Elgin is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier free recruitment and selection processes. We welcome applications from all qualified persons. If you require accommodations, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs. We thank all candidates for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.