To commemorate Women’s Day on March 8, 2023, YWCA St.Thomas-Elgin will be installing an outdoor wrap mural in front of our main office at 16 Mary Street. This location is not only a significant building to the hundreds of women, men and youth who have received services through our programing over the years but it has also remained a women’s residence since 1928 when it was originally built.
YWCA has adapted, pivoted and listened to what would serve our community best through a diverse portfolio. We believe that we think outside the box (beyond the box) to meet challenges and changing community needs. We advocate for equity, ending violence against women and lobby for affordable housing for women and gender diverse peoples.
- Support & celebrate local artists (must live or work in Elgin County)
- Commemorate Women’s Day with the installation of the wrap mural
- Honour the programs and services of YWCA related to women,
equity and diversity
- Add to the rich collection of outdoor murals now showcased
throughout the city
YWCA St.Thomas-Elgin is seeking designs to be considered which will add to the visual landscape of their main office located at 16 Mary Street West. The winning design will be reproduced on all sides of the Bell transformer box at the front of the building.
Winning artist will keep their original work. Winning design and top 3 runners up will have the opportunity to display their work during our 2023 annual Women’s Day Conference.
Winning artist will receive:
- $500 honorarium
- 2 tickets to our Women’s Day Conference on March 4, 2023
- the legacy of having their design on public display for years to come
Design should incorporate women, diversity, equality as themes reflecting the work that YWCA supports throughout Elgin County. We encourage artists to scroll through our website to see the wide range of programs and services we have.
Important Dates: *dates subject to change
- Applications due by 12 noon on Dec 23, 2022
- Designs reviewed by panel to select winning design and to be announce by Jan 9, 2023*
- Use image in Feb for marketing of Women’s Day and publication in
Women’s Day swag bags
- YWCA to install wrap mural on transformer on March 8, 2023*
How to apply:
STEP ONE: Click here to download template of Bell transformer layout. When creating your artwork consider that the design will wrap on all sides of the box with the exception of the base.
STEP TWO: Submit your design (png, jpg or pdf format) including a short paragraph about how your design relates to the work we do at YWCA, equity and diversity, along with your name, address, phone number to
firstname.lastname@example.org no later than noon on Dec 23, 2022
Contact Melissa Kempf, Communications Office Manager at (519) 631-9800
extension 214 or by email at email@example.com
Would you like to become a sponsor of this mural project? Click here to learn more