Youth in Transition Worker – Job Posting
Contract Position – until March 31, 2020
The YWCA St. Thomas-Elgin, established over 110 years ago, is a not for profit, social service agency governed by a volunteer Board of Directors.
The Youth in Transition Worker is responsible for supporting youth ages 16-24 that are transitioning from the child welfare system into independent adulthood. The YIT Worker will use client focused case management including harm reduction, attachment theory, stages of change, resiliency theory, motivational interviewing and trauma informed care. Facilitating access to specialized community based support services and developing programs that promote life skill development for youth are both vital duties for this role.
Role and Responsibility
- Support eligible youth leaving care to identify, access and navigate adult service systems relevant to their needs, and transition into adulthood.
- Provide intensive case management to youth on a case of approximately 25 youth
- Use a variety of case management tools to assist in providing support such as: attachment theory, stages of change, resiliency theory, motivational interviewing, and trauma responsive care.
- Assess capabilities, strengths and acuity to determine what services are required to meet the needs of the youth.
- Conduct individual counselling sessions and group workshops.
- Work closely with Family and Children’s Services to ensure program eligibility criteria.
- Provide specialized home and community based support and prevention services.
- Connect youth to existing supports and resources in the community (ie. Housing, education, employment, life skills training, health, mental health and legal services)
- Attend training on the Service Prioritization Decision Assistance Tool (SPDAT) for youth and use this tool on a regular basis to create a road map for housing based case management supports.
- Work in tandem with the YWCA youth worker team.
Key Qualifications and Competencies
- A Bachelor’s Degree or diploma in Child & Youth Work or Social Work (or related field).
- Minimum 2 years’ experience necessary.
- Previous community related experience a definite asset.
- Advanced communication skills required, both written and oral.
- Demonstrated ability to interact with people in a sensitive, tactful, diplomatic and professional manner at all times.
- Good organizational, time management and prioritizing skills.
- High level of critical and logical thinking, analysis and reasoning.
- The YWCA offers a competitive compensation package including salary and benefits.
|Applicants are invited to submit their resume no later than February 21, 2019
To Lindsay Rice, Director of Services and Community Development
The YWCA St. Thomas-Elgin is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. We welcome applications from all qualified persons. If you require accommodations, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs.