Poverty Interventions is a group of committed community leaders and volunteers whose mission is to eliminate poverty by uniting the strengths and passions of those living in St. Thomas-Elgin.
Goals – To reduce the social costs of poverty, strengthen the workforce, and building a more prosperous and sustainable community. Poverty Interventions community support programs provide a family of concepts, workshops, and interventions to help individuals, community organizations, social service agencies, and employers address and reduce poverty in a comprehensive way. This program brings people from all sectors and economic classes together to identify and build resources, improve job retention rates, improve outcomes, and support those who are moving out of poverty.
The Poverty Interventions community support program helps communities:
- Move individuals from poverty to self-sufficiency
- Reduce social costs related to crime, poor health, and welfare
- Strengthen educational attainment and job skills
- Enhance economic development
- Improve on-the-job productivity
- Revitalize neighborhoods
- Build sustainable communities where everyone can live well
- Explore our programs designed around St. Thomas-Elgin’s community specific needs
Getting Ahead in a Just-Gettin’-By World is a 12 week program that helps individuals in poverty build their resources for a more prosperous life for themselves, their families, and their communities. Goal is to examine the impact that poverty has on people, families and their communities. It is structured for adults to reflect on and examine their lives, investigate new information that resonates with them, plan for their future, create ideas for building a prosperous community, and choose a team to help them on their path.
NEXT SESSION BEGINS – September 12, 2023
This upcoming session is an opportunity for adults to reflect on and examine their lives, investigate new information, plan for their future, create ideas for building a stronger community and gain tools to help them on their path.
Participants will receive valuable information and resources to help them achieve their goals. Getting Ahead is a “kitchen table” approach where participants act as investigators who lead the learning process. Facilitators encourage and support the individuals and the group in the process and work.
- In-person at YWCA, 16 Mary St West, St.Thomas
- Tues, Wed and Thurs from 9:30 am to 12:30 pm
- 12 weeks
- Assistance to obtain a device to access the internet will be provided.
- A per diem of $8/day of attendance with food and beverages provided
After registering, each person will fill out an application and speak with the facilitator for an opportunity to get to know each other and ask questions. Space in the workshop is limited. Those who are most interested and are best suited for the program will be prioritized.
Now accepting referrals and applications for our next session
Keep Moving Forward is a weekly program for Getting Ahead Graduates to:
- Continue to work on goal setting
- Get support and resources
- Connect with others that understand
The goal is to keep the motivation, the goal and strategy development begun in Getting Ahead, moving forward.
Want to get started?
Use the form below to contact Donna Rankin, Poverty Interventions Co-ordinator.
Please note inquiries will be reviewed within 2-3 business days.