The Red Cross Babysitting program offers basic first aid and caregiving skills for youth 11-15 years old. Participants learn how to provide care to children in a variety of ages groups and how to prevent and respond to emergencies. The course also offers youth the skills to promote themselves as babysitters to prospective families.
Topics covered include:
- How to be responsible and demonstrate leadership
- Decision making and managing difficult behaviours
- Information on children’s developmental stages and specific strategies for each stage
- How to feed, diaper, dress and play with children and babies
- How to recognize and prevent unsafe situations, make safe choices and promote safe behaviours
- First aid skills
- The business of babysitting
Fall 2023 Schedule
Ages: 11 years of age (or completion of Grade 5)
- Thursdays, September 28-October 12 from 5-7:30pm at Springfield Library, Malahide Community Place, Springfield (Registration opens August 28, closes September 22)
- Saturday September 30, from 9am-4pm at YWCA St. Thomas-Elgin (Registration opens August 28, closes September 22)
- PA Day Friday November 17, from 9am-4pm at Belmont Library, Belmont (Registration opens August 28, closes November 10)
*Please call for late registrations. Please note: programs will be available pending sufficient registration.
How to register
- ONLINE by clicking the REGISTER NOW button for the course you wish to register for.
- Call (519) 631-9800 or 1-800-461-0954 or visit us at one of our office locations during business hours
We are here to help
If you have any questions or need support with online registration, please use the form below or call or visit us at one of our office locations during business hours.
Please note this is NOT a registration form.
Please note inquiries will be reviewed within 2-3 business days.
If you find yourself in an emergency situation please phone our main office during regular business hours (519) 631-9800 or call 2-1-1 for emergency services within your area.